Thick, Chunky, Creamy Tomato Soup
I originally found this recipe on The Prairie Homestead website. A really charming website with a lot of wonderful down home things to try if you want to get off the grid and making things from scratch.
I admit I was not much of a tomato soup fan (though I love most everything else tomato) but this recipe looked so good I had to try it. Thank heavens because it is delicious and will be a wonderful winter favorite from now on.
It past the “hubby taste test” with flying colors … boy was I shocked. He is the original “I HATE ANYTHING CREAMY”.
I cut the recipe in half since there are just 2 of us and made a few adjustments to the original recipe. So here is my version.
The pictures below are numbered according to the recipe steps.
My Italian Herbs recipe can be found HERE
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 Tbsp chopped dry onion
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp My Herbs (dry mix see notes)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1. Heat your butter in a heavy pot with the chopped celery and saute until tender (do not over cook). Stir in the flour and let it brown for about 2 minutes. Continue to stir do not let it burn.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, sugar, herbs, salt and chili flakes. Bring them to a simmer over medium heat stir until it begins to thicken. Watch it and do not let it burn.
- 2. Stir in the half and half bring back to a very low heat simmer. Allow the flavors to blend stirring occasionally for around 5-10 minutes.
|Image 1||Image 2|