It is fun to make and actually not that hard. You have to be patient since it must sit for about 45 days before it is finished.
You must have a good grade of grain alcohol (Everclear Grain Alcohol 190 Proof if you can get it … it is not allowed in some states) … in a pinch you can use 80 proof vodka.
For your lemons try and get them from someone who has a tree or a local grower that does not apply pesticides. Since you are using only the yellow peel you do not want market wax or anything else that might be used in treating market produce.
- 10 lemons
- 1 (750-ml) bottle Everclear Grain Alcohol 190 Proof or any good vodka
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- This is a 2 stage process. Macerating the lemon peels in alcohol, and then brewing with the simple syrup.
- Peel the lemons, making sure to only separate the yellow part of the peel from the fruit. I use a potato peeler.
- Place the peels in glass jars, large enough to accommodate all the ingredients in the recipe, seal tight and store in a dark place for two weeks.
- After macerating for two weeks, the alcohol is now ready to be drained and mixed with the water and sugar (simple syrup).
- Heat the water in the pan and mix in the sugar, stir every once in a while as it cools off for about an hour. Make sure there are no sugar crystals at the bottom of your pan.
- Cooled simple syrup.
- Now close your jar tight and let it rest in a dark place for a whole month.
- No sunlight!
- After a month, it is time to bottle.