Fortunately most everyone has Monday off so this year we decided to have our Christmas dinner on that day and give up turkey and have hobo stew.
Our meal (there were 12 of us) consisted of Hobo Stew over rice, Cauliflower Casserole, Honey Glazed Carrots with olives and cream, Asian Cabbage Salad, French Bread, Baklava, Banana Coconut Cream Pie.
Our traditional dinner is hard to coordinate with 3 of us doing it. This year there were only 2 of us and I am still not quite up to par after my West Nile Virus episode. So decided to make the fast and easy Hobo Stew.
Instead of using stew meat I have Joe pick out a nice chuck roast and cut it in 1 1/2 cubes. To me chuck has a much better flavor than stew meat.
Sealing the stew in foil and slow cooking it is perfect for the less tender chuck.
- 2 lbs chuck roast cut into 1” to 2” cubes
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 pkg. Dry Lipton onion soup mix
- 2 cans sliced mushrooms
- ¼ to ½ cup red wine
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and place in a pot or baking dish lined with foil that can be sealed tightly. Place in oven and cook for 4 to 5 hours without opening foil.
- Serve over cooked rice.