Hilda’s Fruit Bars
Hilda worked with me at the telephone company way back when. During slack times in our ring a ding job we exchanged recipes. This one was given to me by Hilda. It became a family favorite. It is one of my GO TO give away hits during the holidays.
It is a very quick simple cookie bar that can have any jam you like.
My favorite is orange marmalade my husband loves any berry … he does love boysenberry.
These were made using frozen strawberry that I found lurking in a dark forgotten corner of my freezer.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cubes butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups chopped toasted pecans
- 2 cups of your favorite jam
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 by 13 inch cake pan.
- Mix flour, sugar, butter and salt together until crumbly.
- Press 2/3rds into your cake pan to make a crust. Spread on jam.
- Mix chopped nuts into the remaining cookie dough and sprinkle over the top of the jam pressing in a bit.
- Bake for about an hour until brown and toasty.
- I only chop 2/3rds if of my pecans because I like to see whole halves now and then on the top.
- You can use walnuts or sliced or chopped almonds if you like.