Green Beans & Bacon
This is a combination of things I like so I decided to see how it would work.
Today was an R & D (research and development) day. This was a big success. I liked them and Joe loved them. He said never fix me green beans other than this way.
Apparently he forgot how much he loved the green beans Suzie cooked for Christmas dinner before last
- 1 lb. frozen green beans (thawed)
- 3 strips bacon with 2 Tbsp bacon grease
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced toasted almonds
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- red pepper flakes to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a small fry pan toast your almonds. Do not leave them they will burn easily. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large, heavy saute pan for a few minutes add the onion, and peppers to the pan. Sprinkle in the garlic, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes and saute until crisp tender,
- about 2 minutes.
- Add the green beans and toss to mix and coat all of the beans. Add the lemon juice and cover … cook for about 5 minutes. You want your green beans tender but still a bit crisp.
- Move to serving dish and top with toasted almonds.
- You could use fresh beans but then you need to blanch them before use. Frozen beans are blanched before freezing.