Cream of Something Basic Soup Mix
A few months back when I was making cheese I stumbled onto a youtube channel and this recipe. The little gal that runs the channel (Janie Pendleton) is multi talented and has a variety of how to video.
So I subscribed and every once in a while I buzz over and take a look around.
I liked this soup base idea a lot (I do also have a cheesier one of my own) so I gathered all of the things needed and made a batch. I did cut it in half just in case.
My first soup trial was cream of mushroom.
It was delicious.
I knew immediately it would be a good base for meals in a jar.
Like most recipes I find and try I alter a bit to make them perfect for my family. So the recipe I provide will be my version. But also just in case you are interested here is Janie’s Cream of Something Soup Mix. Note you will have to watch the video and write down the recipe because a print out is not provided.
- 4 cups whole milk powder (NOT INSTANT)
- 1 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup heavy cream powder
- 2 Tbsp sour cream powder
- 2 Tbsp Parm/Romano dry cheese powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dry onion
- 2 tsp. dry thyme
- 2 tsp. dry parsley
- 2 tsp. dry basil
- 2 tsp. garlic
- 2 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. pepper
- To Mix: Add all ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix well
- To Store: In air tight jar or container (I use a recycled 64 ounce Best Foods Mayonnaise Jar)
- Individual servings: 1/3 cup mix to 1 1/4 cup water to mix as soup
- The milk must be whole milk powder not instant or non-instant.
- Can make Cream of Broccoli, Mushroom, Chicken soups.
- Can use potato flakes for thickener.