Apple Pecan Pound Cake
However this recipe of olde intrigued me because it had an old fashioned Pinoche Icing.
Pinoche was an old time brown sugar fudge that was about as temperamental to make as divinity. That being said it was my all time favorite of fudge. I have not tried making it for years because of that but now with heavy duty mixers and digital candy thermometers it is probably a less challenging task.
Anyway this icing is different but tastes about the same so LOVE IT!
- 1 ½ cups room temp butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 3 cups Honey Crisp apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp Spiced Rum
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven 325*F. Butter and flour a 10” bundt pan
- In the bowl of your stand mixer using the beater bar, beat butter and sugar until thick – about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Sift together flour, spices, baking soda and salt. Add to egg mixture and blend well. Add nuts, apples and Spiced Rum and blend well.
- Pour batter into the bundt pan and place in preheated oven. Bake cake 1 hour 20 minutes until a digital thermometer reaches (204 degrees) or a toothpick comes out clean ... to make sure it’s cooked.
- Remove from oven to a cooling rack. After 10 minutes, remove the cake from the pan and allow cake to cool completely.
- Glaze: In a sauce pan over medium heat, place butter, brown sugar, cream and salt. Bring to a full, rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat and leave to cool for 7 minutes.
- Beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Immediately spoon the glaze over the cake.
- I love and use toasted pecans but walnuts will do as well.